Monday, October 29, 2012

Thoughts About Sandy with a Katrina Twist


So we are moments away from Hurricane Sandy making landfall in Cape May, NJ and I cannot help but be reminded of Katrina. That disaster sits in all of our minds, but it was especially important to me as my first ever response to a true Type I Catastrophic incident.  I am not recollecting that time in 2005 because of comparisons of NOLA and NYC or because of the storm of the century titling’s but because I can’t help but wonder if we have learned from the many lessons Katrina taught us.  

Now, I am not calling to question government response because I have a tremendous amount of respect of Craig Fugate and his team.  I am concerned by those that did not heed the warnings of true experts that did not evacuate or take the appropriate actions.  James Lee Witt did a good job of placing the focus on the individual to prepare for disasters and Craig Fugate has returned to that mantra.  I am just not sure if it has worked.

As an emergency manager it is a struggle to convince individuals to invest the time and resources to prepare.  People truly believe that it will not happen to them.  Katrina served as a wake-up call for our nation but the blessing that was a problem in disguise was that we have not had a catastrophic incident since.  The nation has fallen back asleep and it looks like Sandy is our new wake-up call. 

My thoughts and prayers are with those that are in the path of Sandy and my colleagues that will serve them.   I hope Sandy will silence the critics that want to eliminate disaster response funding or those that think their local emergency manager is nicety not a necessity.

I would love to hear your thoughts, so leave me a comment.

1 comment:

  1. was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!!I am also quite interested to see your upcoming post for home care management so please keep writin

    ReplyDelete